Saturday, May 17, 2014

Chalkboard Message Center - Classroom Decor


I am happy to be a part of the Bright Ideas Link Up this month!  A huge thank you to Shelley Gray and the fellow participants for making this link up possible.  

My "Bright Idea" is creating a message center using chalk board paint, and a (cork) bulletin board.  The reason for the bulletin board is that you can use push pins to put messages on the board, AND the chalk board paint will allow the surface to be written on.

For this project,  I chose to use a smaller bulletin board because it is easier to handle  for an example.  Plus, I have a perfect place for it after I am done. :)

Materials Needed:

• Chalk Board Paint (either spray paint or acrylic paint)
• Paint Brush
• Painters Masking Tape
• Push-pins 

Project time under 2 hours.
Cost:  $5.95 for the board, chalkboard paint $2.95, paint brush, 2.95, painter's masking tape: free (got it from my Mom.)  


Step 1.   Using the painters masking tape, go around the edges of the bulletin board.  It doesn't matter if you use the acrylic chalkboard paint or the spray paint.  You'll still want to use the tape on the edges so that it doesn't get paint on it.


Chalkboard paint can be found at most craft supply stores. Manufacturer is Plaid. (Which also has a lot of craft paints, and adhesives).



Step 2.   Put an even layer of the chalkboard paint on the bulletin board.  Make sure that all of the cork is covered completely.  Let the layer of paint completely dry before moving on to the next layer.  It takes about 45 minutes or so to completely dry.

Step 3.  Put a second layer of chalkboard paint on the bulletin board.  This layer of paint will go on a little bit easier because the first layer completely covered the cork.   It will take a little longer for this layer to dry.  Leave it over night if you aren't in a hurry to use it.


Step 4.  Once the bulletin board is completely dry, remove the painter's masking tape.  Be careful how you pull it off to make sure that none of the paint lifts off.


Step 5.   The last step is to use chalk to write the names of students, or other information.  To clip messages,  what I did was use small binder clips and used flat thumb tacks to attach it to the board.  The binder clips will hold a few notes/papers.   You could use a board like this to hold schedules, or attendance notes.  The edges of the board can be painted with bright colors too.  I liked the dark frame, so I did not paint mine.

I hope that you enjoyed this project.  I'd love to hear from you, please leave a comment below!  

To see all of the other projects in the Bright Ideas hop, click the links below!





4 comments:

  1. I love the step-by-step pictures. Thanks for sharing. I need to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this might be my end of the year teacher's gift!

    Terri Izatt
    KinderKapers

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great craft and looks easy to do too! Thank you for sharing it!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I had no idea you could paint cork. This is going on my summer to-do list!
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I love to hear from you!